Notice my contact info to the right, if you want to contact me with any questions. I would also like to say that I do attempt to give credit where credit is due. I do not make any claims to cakes in my blog except the ones in my slideshow. If I show a cake I will try to post some type of identifer with it, however, if I don't know who posted the cake it is impossible for me to do that. I am only using the cake to illustrate a specific technique.







Monday, January 10, 2011

Cutting your cakes.

One of the worst things to see at a wedding or a party is the way some people completely and utterly destroy a cake when they cut it. I don't know about you, but it can be depressing to put that much work into something only to watch it be destroyed by someone who doesn't know how to properly cut a cake.

Most party cakes are sliced into 1-1/2" x 2" pieces, and wedding cakes are sliced in
1"x 2" pieces. Here are some basic instructions for cake cutting:

Rounds:
To cut round cakes, move in 2" from the cakes's outer edge; cut a circle and then slice approximately 1-1/2 inch pieces within the circle. Now move in another 2 inches and cut another circle; slice approximately 1-1/2 inch pieces. Continue until the cake is completely cut. Let's say, for instance, the cake is a 12" round. The server would cut a circle around the cake 2" in from the outside edge. Once these serving were all served, the server would move in another 2" and cut another circle. This leaves a small inner circle which can be cut into wedges. The exception to cutting in 2" from the outside edge rule is the 6" round, which should be cut into wedges without the center circle. Cut petal and hexagon cakes similar to round cakes.

Squares:
To cut square cakes, move in 2 inches from the outer edge and cut all the way across, then slice approximately 1-1/2 inch pieces. Now move in another 2 inches and continue until the entire cake is cut. Cut Sheets similar to square cakes.

When cutting wedding cakes, Wilton provides this handy cutting guide. As it notes, however, this is based on the 1" x 2" sized serving. If you would like the larger 1-1/2" X 2" party servings, these charts will need to be changed accordingly.

If you are unsure, go to the Wilton website at www.wilton.com. They have lots of helpful info.

1 comment:

  1. I also recently learned that you should always use a very sharp knife (non-serrated) to cut your cakes, especially if your cake is covered with fondant. Serrated edged knives will make your cake crumble more.

    ReplyDelete