Notice my contact info to the right, if you want to contact me with any questions. I would also like to say that I do attempt to give credit where credit is due. I do not make any claims to cakes in my blog except the ones in my slideshow. If I show a cake I will try to post some type of identifer with it, however, if I don't know who posted the cake it is impossible for me to do that. I am only using the cake to illustrate a specific technique.







Saturday, January 15, 2011

Cake Extenders

I was asked by a friend what a cake extender was. Well, to put it simply, a cake extender is ingredients added to a box cake mix to make it go farther. I have a couple of recipes that are pretty simple if you would like to try one. I, however, can't vouch for either as I haven't had the opportunity to use them yet. If you try them you will have to let me know how they are.

For the first one you will need:

1 box Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Cake Mix (My preferred)
1 box Jello Brand Pudding
1 cup sour cream

Sift together the dry cake mix and dry pudding in a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients for the cake mix and the one cup of sour cream. Add the wet ingredients to the dry mixture just until combined. Pour into your already prepared cake pans. Bake as you usually would, except adding a few extra minutes baking time. Check with a wooden skewer. Cool as usual.

or, you could try this one:

1 box Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Cake Mix
4 eggs
1 box Jello Brand Pudding (e.g. white chocolate, vanilla, cheesecake for white cake or chocolate for chocolate cake)
2-3 Tablespoons oil
1 Cup water
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Sift together the dry ingredients (cake mix and pudding mix) in a mixing bowl. In another bowl, mix the wet ingredients (eggs, oil, water, vanilla). Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Pour into already prepared cake pans. Bake as usual, except adding a few extra minutes to baking time. Cool completely and decorate.

I am anxious to try these, but I haven't made any cakes since I got the recipes. Let me know what YOU think.

2 comments:

  1. Update: I tried both of these and I would have to say they both turned out extremely well. I especially liked using this with the white cake mix, because it seemed to make the cake a little more sturdy. Both were also very moist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, to be completely fair, a cake mix extender adds more liquid volume to the boxed mix. The most common cake mix extender is to simply add 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup sour cream, and 1 to 2 tsp of flavoring to the ingredients already called for on the box. This adds 3 additional cups of batter, thus allowing the user to make a larger layer with only one mix (i.e. a 10 or 11 inch layer, which you normally wouldn't be able to do with only one mix)
    Personally, I add all of the above and in addition I add a box of jello instant pudding in a complimentary flavor, as well as an additional egg and I use 1 to 1.5 Tbls of extracts. And, depending on what flavor cake I am making, I will substitute 1 & 2/3 cup of flavored coffee creamer to the mix also ( my favorite is the DH White Cake mix using International Delights White Chocolate Mocha creamer and jello White Chocolate pudding. Then I add 1 tsp vanilla, 1.5 tsp butter flavor, 1 tsp almond flavor, 1/2 tsp orange flavor and 1/4 tsp lemon flavor) The result is the most amazing White Chocolate cake you'll ever taste!! Oh, and bake at 325 and fill your cake pans to about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way full as the cake is very dense and won't rise as much as regular cake. It will also take a little longer to bake and the edges will be kind of crisp like a sugar cookie. But, boy oh boy is it worth it!! It is by FAR my most popular cake!! I fill it with whipped white chocolate ganache and frost it with my standard white chocolate cream cheese buttercream icing.

    ReplyDelete